Today I finally finished my history thesis. For my second major we are required to write a 25-30 page thesis. Personally, I thought this was harder than the psychology research project I did a year ago. That one took a lot less time at least. So I have dedicated seven months, three nice books, one entire jump drive, and countless sheets of paper toward getting it finished. We were able to choose our own topics and thanks so to my good friend Ashley, a fantastic historian, I got the best one: The Science Behind Gothic Novels. While this isn't the best title it tells it like it is. I researched the science in Frankenstein, Dracula, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Three awesome books all written in the 1800's. So after many hours in the library I was able to track down all the information I needed for this paper. Now that it is complete I have a total of 27 pages, including a 3 page bibliography. That works out to be over 6,500 words. I did have fun reading the books and am happy to say that they didn't give me nightmares.
I love this old movie poster. By the way I believe that all three main characters (Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, and Dr. Jekyll) meet Abbott and Costello at some point or another.
My personal favorite was when I finished Dracula at about 1 in the morning on the Oregon coast with fog rolling in and several loud birds as back ground noise. Talk about atmosphere.
I would highly recommend any of the three in case your are looking for a good book, but please don't cheat yourself and watch a movie it just not the same. I now have a better understanding of all things Gothic. Also, let me pass on some advice: if for any reason you find yourself in 1897 and think you might need a doctor, Don't go to a hospital or any doctor they have creepy methods, no pain killers, and if they do end up killing you (which they probably will) they will then steal your body for outlawed autopsies.
Lol! This is the best post ever! First, because I'm so glad for you- your thesis is done! Second, the movie poster are the best, and 3rd, just because I think you are the best! Love you!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Shannon!! What a relief!
ReplyDeleteWoohoo!! WTG getting it done!
ReplyDelete